When you’re out on the road in your RV, sometimes meals can get a little repetitive. Check out these creative meal ideas to spice up your menu.
Breakfast Blueberry Crisp in a Mug
Ingredients: 1 cup fresh blueberries, 1/2 tablespoon maple syrup, 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice, 2 tablespoons rolled oats, 1 tablespoon chopped walnuts, 1 tablespoon flour of choice (regular, almond, etc), 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, 1 tablespoon coconut oil or butter melted
- In a bowl, toss the fresh berries with maple syrup and lemon juice
- Pour them into a microwavable mug
- Microwave the fresh berries for approximately 45 seconds, watching closely to make sure it doesn’t boil over
- In the same bowl as the tossed the berries, stir together the oats, walnuts, flour, cinnamon, and coconut oil
- Spoon mixture on top of berries and microwave the mug for about 1 minute. Note: berries like to boil over so put a plate underneath the mug and stop the microwave for five seconds if you see it bubbling over
- Let cool a minute or two
Baked Bean Casserole
Ingredients: 1/2 pound sliced bacon, diced, browned, 1/2 pound ground beef, browned, 1 cup chopped onions, 1 28-oz. can pork and beans, 1 17-oz. can green lima beans, rinsed and drained, 1 16-oz. can kidney beans, 1/2 cup barbecue sauce, 1/2 cup ketchup, 1/2 cup sugar, 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed, 2 teaspoons mustard, 2 teaspoons of molasses, 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- Cook meat and onions
- Add beans and other ingredients and stir well
- Cover and bake at 350 for 45 minutes
- Uncover and bake another 15 minutes
Kale and Mushroom Pasta
Ingredients: 8 ounces whole-wheat pasta, boiled and drained according to pasta directions, 1 ounce mushrooms, dried, 2 tablespoons butter, 2 shallots, diced, 3 cloves garlic, minced, ½ cup white wine, 2 cups kale, with big stems removed and cut into strips, ¾ cup heavy cream, ¼ teaspoon salt, pepper, to taste, 1/3 cup parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- In a small pot, add the dried mushrooms and cover with water (minimum of 1 ½ cups). Bring to a boil and cook until the mushrooms have softened, about 3 to 4 minutes. Drain while reserving 1 cup of the cooking liquid. Dice the cooked mushrooms (I do this by using culinary scissors).
- In a sauté pan over medium heat, melt the butter. Add the shallots, mushrooms, and garlic to the pan and cook while stirring for 2 to 3 minutes.
Pour in the white wine and turn up the heat so the mixture comes to a boil. Cook until the wine almost completely boils off, about 3 to 4 minutes (if you are doubling this recipe, it will take longer).
- Pour in the 1 cup of the reserved mushroom cooking liquid and cook until reduced by half.
- Turn the heat back down to medium and add the heavy cream, kale, salt, and pepper to the pan. Cook until the sauce thickens, 2 to 3 more minutes. Fold in the noodles, garnish with Parmesan, and serve.
Ingredients: 1 lb ground turkey, corn tortillas, 2 diced tomatoes, ½ sliced purple onion, 1 bunch cilantro, 1 tablespoon Mexican spice mix
Optional: Cheese, salsa and sour cream
- Fry the turkey with the spice mix in a pan on a medium flame. While the turkey is cooking dice the tomatoes and onions, and chop the cilantro.
- After the turkey is cooked through and drain the juice. Put the tortillas right on top of the turkey and cover for two minutes to warm them.
- Remove the tortillas and place the turkey and other ingredients on top.
Ingredients: Dry-packaged mini pizza crusts, 1 Tbsp pesto spread or tomato paste, 1 Tsp Italian seasoning, 1 cut hot dogs and 1 strip bacon (or whatever meat you have), ½ Sliced yellow pepper and sliced mushrooms, Avocado
- Spread the pesto on the pizza. Layer the other ingredients — except for the avocado — and sprinkle on the seasoning.
- Bake according to the pizza package, usually around 12 mins
- Remove from oven and add the avocado.
Utilize these awesome meal ideas the next time you are RVing to add some variety to your road-tripping menu!Back to News